The absolute requirements for becoming a Mason in South Carolina are:
- Be a Man
- At least 18 years old [Note: Some jurisdictions the minimum age is 21-year old]
- Have a belief in a Supreme being (of any faith - no particular religion or faith is required or excluded - all are welcome)
- You should be someone who does, or wants to learn to, enjoy the company of other men from all different social classes, faiths, backgrounds, countries, etc. Masonry is universal in its ideals.
- If you are a family man, Masonry considers that your family obligations come FIRST, so you must be sure that:
- You have the time to participate (usually two or three evenings/month at first for meetings and instruction, and then at least one evening per month for meetings from then on - often more if you get involved in lodge activities.)
- You can afford the initiation fees and the annual dues without hardship to yourself or your family.
- You should be coming to Masonry "of your own free will and accord", to learn to improve yourself and to enjoy the company of other good people.
To join, all you have to do is ask a Mason:
- Preferably someone you know or at least who lives or works nearby, or...
- If you think that you don't know any Masons in your area, you could contact us (Click here) and ask that anyone who lives in your general area reply to you, or...
- You can find nearby lodges listed in your phonebook (White-pages listings for lodges may be under "Masons", "Freemasons", "Masonic Apartments", or "Masonic Temple", and the Grand Lodge would probably be under "Grand Lodge of Masons"), or...
- Contact our Grand Lodge (Click Here) and ask to speak to someone in the office of the Grand Secretary.